The Horizon Europe missions are inspired by the Apollo 11 mission to send a man to the Moon. The Horizon Europe missions will cover 5 areas. Each mission aims at solving a pressing challenge in society within a certain timeframe and budget.
Citizen engagement and co-design is a strong component of the elaboration of the missions’ scope. Each mission is governed by a mission board composed of thematic experts who specify, design and implement it within Horizon Europe.
The 5 missions are:
- Conquering Cancer: Mission Possible
By 2030: more than 3 million lives saved, cancer patients living longer and better
- Adaptation to climate change
Support at least 150 European regions and communities to become climate resilient by 2030.
- Restore our ocean and waters by 2030
• Protect and restore marine and freshwater ecosystems and biodiversity
• Prevent and eliminate pollution of our ocean, seas and waters
• Make the sustainable blue economy carbon-neutral and circular
- 100 Climate-neutral cities by 2030
Support, promote and showcase 100 European cities in their systemic transformation towards climate neutrality by 2030 and make these cities into experimentation and innovation hubs for all cities, thus leading on the European Green Deal and on Europe’s efforts to become climate neutral by 2050.
- A Soil Deal for Europe
100 living labs and lighthouses to lead the transition to healthy soils by 2030.