Luxinnovation, the University of Luxembourg and LuxProvide are jointly managing the Luxembourg National Competence Centre in High-Performance Computing (HPC). Its mission is to promote the use of HPC linked to computing, data analytics or artificial intelligence by industry – in particular SMEs – academia and public administration.
HPC is the ability to perform complex calculations at high speed in fields such as modelling and simulation, data analytics, machine learning and artificial intelligence. HPC is a unique tool that helps generate business value. With the help of HPC, data are quickly interpreted, evaluated and visually projected in order to show patterns and guide researchers and engineers to better products, models or processes. The benefits are numerous:
- more precise design of complex work pieces
- reduced time-to-market
- reduced materials cost
Using HPC modelling and simulation for product optimisation brings significant benefits, as prototyping is often an expensive and time-consuming process. Concrete examples of how HPC-generated simulations and visualisations can be used include, among others:
- simulation of virtual factories and digital pilots
- analysis and visualisation of data produced by smart manufacturing systems
- virtual testing of safe automated driving systems
- simulation of the binding capacities of target drug compounds in medicine
- climate modelling to study greenhouse gas emissions reduction
- sustainable energy modelling
- disease prediction
- fraud detection
With Luxembourg’s new high-performance computer MeluXina, HPC is becoming more accessible than ever before. Start-ups, SMEs and larger companies as well as research organisations can run HPC workloads and take advantage of MeluXina and the HPC of the University of Luxembourg.
The Luxembourg National Competence Centre in HPC offers a wide portfolio of services to help you to set up and implement your HPC-enabled projects.