“State aid to companies has a significant steering effect. By supporting the innovation process and stimulating environmental and climate protection in businesses, they are helping to make our economy progressively more sustainable and digital,” Economy Minister Franz Fayot said during the press conference.

Between 2018 and 2022, €906m was provided as state aid in different forms such as grants, advances and guarantees. During this period, around 2,000 requests for subsidies were processed.

More than half of the state aid funds (51.7% or €469m) were liked to investments, and generated investments worth €1.5bn into the Luxembourg economy. The remaining amount (48.3% or €437m) was not directly related to investments, but instead represents COVID and energy guarantees (€349m), reimbursement advances (€24.6m), and compensation for additional energy costs (€10.3m).

Breakdown of state aid linked to investments: R&D and innovation

A total of €218m in state aid prompted an additional €561 million in research, development and innovation investments. 81% of the applications processed received support from Luxinnovation. 35 projects were executed in collaboration between companies and public research organisations. In in order to further stimulate public-private partnerships in research and innovation, strategic calls for projects were issued in the fields of healthtech, high performance computing (HPC) and defence.

Environmental protection schemes

Between 2018 and 2022, state aid for environmental protection totalled €95m. This investment increased more than four times in terms of the overall investment it generated.

In order to help businesses transition to more sustainable business practices, the government launched the Fit 4 Sustainability programme in 2022. Managed by Luxinnovation, the programme is aimed at helping companies identify their potential for using resources more efficiently with the help of an external expert.

Support for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)

SME financing schemes promote a multiplier effect for investments and provide an incentive for these entities to put some skin in the game. A total of €16m in state aid generated a total investment of €128m.

“Neistart Lëtzebuerg” scheme

The “Neistart Lëtzebuerg” package was launched at the start of the COVID crisis to propel a sustainable economic recovery, encourage employment and support companies in the hardest-hit sectors. 229 projects received a total of €83m in state aid between 2020 and 2021, resulting in additional investments of up to €225m. 40% of the projects were supported by Luxinnovation. 20% of the portfolio was devoted to increasing energy efficiency, 55% to finding new ways to innovate on processes and organisation, and 25% to promoting growth and diversification.

Photo credit: MECO

Read more

DIH ON TOUR bus arrives at the Smart Manufacturing Week


During the Smart Manufacturing Week on 6 and 7 June 2023, the DIH ON TOUR bus will be transformed into a business matchmaking and meeting platform. Board the bus in front of the Luxexpo The Box to interact with representatives from the European Digital Innovation Hub Luxembourg and Saarland. Save the dates for the other upcoming DIH ON TOUR events!
Read more

Combining sustainability and competitiveness


During the conference "Megatrends 2050: Shaping the future with scientific foresight", Sasha Baillie, CEO of Luxinnovation, reviewed some of these megatrends and how Luxembourg is addressing these challenges. Second part: climate change and resource scarcity.
Read more

One sustainable solution, benefits for many companies


Luxinnovation, in partnership with several partners, creates several solutions that assist different groups of companies to become more sustainable. We examine some of the existing sustainable solutions and others in the pipeline.
Read more

Applying for EIC Accelerator funding: How to succeed


The EIC Accelerator is one of the most prestigious and attractive, but also one of the most competitive, funding instruments of Horizon Europe for individual start-ups and small companies developing and scaling up game-changing innovations. Three former Fit 4 Start participants who have received funding shared their best advice about do’s and don’ts at the Fit 4 Start Alumni event held on 25 May 2023.
Read more

Focus on the new "zero-emission vehicles" aid scheme


Follow our webinar (in French language) on Tuesday 13 June , from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., to learn all about this new funding scheme.
Read more

All news