The very first “Giorgetti” company was created in Luxembourg in 1898. It was founded in Bettembourg by Francesco Giorgetti and his uncle Achille, a few years after their arrival in the Grand Duchy. When Eustache, Francesco’s brother, arrived in 1900, he was only 18 years old and began working on the construction of the Adolphe Bridge which was inaugurated in 1903.
Meanwhile, Francesco’s untimely death from pneumonia, leaving Achille, then 26, alone at the helm of the company. Eustache joined him in 1911 as a construction supervisor, before being forced to return to Italy to perform his military service. It remains the time of the First World War, and returns in 1920 to direct the construction of the headquarters of the Arbed and many other prestigious buildings on and around the Avenue de la Liberté.
In 1923, Achille was joined by his wife and their three young children, Maria, Paul and Felix. The influence of Achille in the Grand Duchy was immense, to the point of being named “contractor of the Court” by the Grand Duchess Charlotte. His achievements are prestigious: the restoration of Fischbach’s Castle for the grand-ducal family, the new Hôtel des Postes executed with the first electric lift-cranes used in the country, or the new bathing establishment in Mondorf…
In 1937, it is the turn of Eustache to create his own construction company in Bettembourg, while Achille, in the meantime, returned to live in Italy. Dissolved during the Second World War, this company was reborn in 1946 in the name of “Eustache Giorgetti & Fils”, with the entry of his two sons Paul and Felix as associates.
The reconstruction of the country partly ravaged by the war gives them the opportunity to contribute actively to the revival and economic development of the country: expansion of the Hôtel des Postes (from 1952 to 1955), construction of the bridge over the Alzette in the Pulvermühle in 1955, Dr. E. Bohler’s clinic in 1956…
In 1957, Eustache Giorgetti retired from business and left the management of the company to Felix and Paul. They continue their momentum with the completion of the European School (Boulevard de la Foire) in 1958, the Kannerklinik in 1960 or the National Institute of Sports in 1962.
But the major project that will give a whole new dimension to the company is that of the new municipal theater of Luxembourg: a titanic project wanted since 1958 by the public authorities, to celebrate the millennium of the founding of the capital, founded in 963. Despite many technical hazards, the “Millennium Theater” (which will only become the Municipal Theater later) was inaugurated in 1964.
Three years later, Paul Giorgetti died and Félix takes sole head of the company which, at the same time, also specialises in the construction of residential districts, accompanying the development of the country’s demography. A city even bears the name of “Giorgetti” in Bettembourg.
In 1979, Felix and his wife Jeanny Giorgetti-Theisen took over the entire commercial fund and renamed the company “Félix Giorgetti”. Despite the economic slowdown due to the oil crisis, the company held firm and did not suffered the same fate as many others in the industry that went bankrupt.
Marc and Paul, Félix’s two sons, joined the family business in 1986, the first with a degree in civil engineering from Zurich and the second after a degree in management at EDC Paris.
The years of crisis have passed and the development of the financial center gives a new impetus to the country and a new face to the capital. Giorgetti built the buildings and the tunnel on the Saint-Esprit plateau between 1983 and 1988; the Schuman roundabout in 1988 and many buildings at La Cloche d’Or, including the new administrative building of the company, where Giorgetti installed in 1992.
The 1990s also showed the diversification of the group’s activities, with the creation of subsidiaries (such as Skyliners, today a leader in the rental and sale of Liebherr tower cranes in the Greater Region) and strategic equity investments in the real estate and construction sector in the broad sense, including shipyards for sailboats and motor boats.
Major projects continue: one of the two towers of Europe, at the entrance of the Kirchberg Plateau, delivered in 2004; the successive extensions and the customer parking of the Belle Etoile shopping center; the eight buildings and the underground parking of the Cité Judiciaire on the Plateau du Saint-Esprit or a few administrative offices of prestigious companies (Raiffeisen in Leudelange, RTL City, KPMG and Arendt & Medernach in Kirchberg or the structural work of that of EY).
It is also to Giorgetti that we owe the Nordstrooss and some other major road infrastructure in the country, such as the highway that connects the Grand Duchy to the Saar or the connections around the Belval district.
Over more than a century, it is difficult to separate, therefore, the development of the country with that of the company still well involved in some outstanding projects such as the future national stadium at La Cloche d’Or or the 5th extension of the Court of Justice in Kirchberg.