The Startup World Cup Luxembourg 2018 event on March 22 culminated in the selection of Largowind as the finalist that will represent Luxembourg at the World Cup Finale in San Francisco on May 11. The stakes are high as the Grand Investment Prize is $1, 000,000. Congrats and good luck to Mathilde Argaud.
Startup World Cup is a series of global start-up conferences and competitions, powered by Fenox Venture Capital. It consists of 30 regional start-up competitions in more than 20 different countries around the world, leading up to the Grand Finale in Silicon Valley. The top start-ups from each regional event will fly out to the USA to compete for a $1,000,000 prize. The Grand Finale for Startup World Cup 2018 is to be held on May 11 in San Francisco, California.
The regional semi-final for the Startup World Cup was held in Luxembourg City and was organised by ITOne, Farvest Group in collaboration with EY Luxembourg. It aims to foster local innovation by bringing together a distinguished start-up ecosystem. The winner of the pitching competition will represent Luxembourg and EU Region at the Grand Finale and will compete alongside 15 other start-ups from all over the world for a chance to win a US $1,000,000 prize in investment.
Venture Capital Wise Words
Bill Reichert – Partner of Fenox Venture Capital, gave the opening speech for the event. According to attendees, the quote of the night was when he said, “Venture capitalists do not invest with their brain, but they invest with their heart, you have to make them fall in love.”
A very distinguished jury had been assembled for the arduous task of selecting a winner, consisting of Anne-Catherine Ries (Digital Policy Advisor, Luxembourg Government ), who is currently gracing the cover of Paperjam, Luxembourg’s leading economic & financial publication, Edith Magyarics (CEO of Victor Buck Services), Jean-Michel Ludwig Director, Start-up Support and SME Performance, Luxinnovation, Polina Montano (COO of Job Today), as well as Alain Rodermann (Founder and CEO, Expon Capital).
14 Start-ups had been selected to pitch at the semi-finals yesterday :
- Algoreg Video onboarding
- C4Diagnostics Fast and reliable detection, count and concentration
- of culturable microorganisms of interest in clinical microbiology
- Coinplus Your physical crypto account
- Edoo Education revolutionizing education in emerging markets
- Kairos Capital – Sniffy The First 5D Screen
- Koosmik Independent and Hassle Free Mobile Wallet
- Mu Design An interactive home monitoring owl.
- MyBataz Brand community platform
- Free Pascal Development
- Tetrao Fintech Artificial Intelligence that Transforms your Business
- Univize Find students. Find universities. (Will participate in Fit 4 Start Spring 2018 edition)
- Yotako Seamless transition from design to code (Former Fit4Start Participant)
WINNER: Largowind. A babyphone but for boats! Connected Rope. Largowind was selected to attend the final of the start-up world cup in San Francisco. In addition, the start-up won an EY Finance Navigator (Financial Planning Software for Start-ups). Largowind is also a former Fit 4 Start Graduate
Winner: Best presentation: Mu Design. An interactive home monitoring owl.