Following the publication of the European Green Deal strategy, the European Commission is launching a citizen consultation to help co-design the European Green Deal call. The European Green Deal call will help mobilise and shape research and innovation for the green and just transition of the European Union. The Green Deal call is part of the Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation programme.
The Green Deal Call
The Green Deal call covers 11 areas with 20 topics cutting across and integrating different disciplines and sectors. Projects are expected to deliver tangible and visible results relatively quickly and show how research and innovation can provide concrete solutions for the Green Deal main priorities.
The calls will support
- pilot applications, demonstration projects and innovative products
- innovation for better governance of the green and digital transition
- social and value chain innovation
In addition to technological development and demonstration, the call encourages experimentation and social innovation for new ways to engage civil society and empower citizens.
In relation to the current pandemic, the call will contribute to the green and digital recovery and to increasing societal resilience for example in agriculture, biodiversity acceleration of renewables, clean transport and modernisation towards a clean and circular industry.
You can share your opinion of the Commission Green Deal call by 3 June 2020 here.
Areas covered by the Green Deal call
- Call area 1: Increasing climate ambition: cross-sectoral challenges
- Call area 2: Clean, affordable and secure energy
- Call area 3: Industry for a clean and circular economy
- Call area 4: Energy and resource-efficient buildings
- Call area 5: Sustainable and smart mobility
- Call area 6: Farm to Fork
- Call area 7: Restoring biodiversity and ecosystem services
- Call area 8: Zero-pollution, toxic-free environment
- Call area 9: Strengthening our knowledge in support of the European Green Deal
- Call area 10: Empowering citizens for transition towards a climate neutral, sustainable Europe
- Call area 11: Accelerating the clean energy transition and access in partnership with Africa
Timeline of publication of the calls
The calls will be refined taking into account citizens comments during the Summer 2021. They will then be published and open for proposal submission around mid-September with a deadline in January 2021. The selected projects will start in autumn 2021.