The Commission has published its proposal for Horizon Europe, an ambitious €100 billion research and innovation programme that will succeed Horizon 2020.
The proposal was made as part of the EU’s proposal for the next EU long-term budget, the multiannual financial framework (MFF).
Various building blocks were taken into account including the interim evaluation of Horizon 2020, the Lab-Fab-App report (informally the Lamy report), foresight studies and various other reports.
Pursuing a mission-oriented policy approach
Horizon Europe will incorporate policy missions to ensure the effectiveness of research and innovation funding by pursuing clearly defined targets.
The Commission has engaged policy experts to develop studies, case studies and reports on how a mission-oriented policy approach will work.
Reports and materials that shaped the proposal
Evaluating Horizon 2020
To make an effective proposal, the Commission built on what has been learned from Horizon 2020.
- Communication on the interim evaluation of Horizon 2020, adopted 11 January 2018 outlines views on how the impact of a successor research and innovation investment programme could be maximised
- Horizon 2020 Evaluation: Results of the interim evaluation of Horizon 2020, input studies and evaluation methods
- LAB – FAB – APP: Investing in the European future we want: Report of the independent high level group, led by Pascal Lamy, on maximising the impact of EU research and innovation programmes
- Mission-Oriented Research & Innovation in the EU: A problem solving approach to innovation-led growth. This report is the result of Professor Mariana Mazzucato’s academic reflections based on her research with input from internal and external stakeholders of the European Commission.
- Presentation on mission-oriented research and innovation policy: Outlines some of the main findings of the report by Professor Mariana Mazzucato
Foresight study to prepare scenarios for future contexts of EU research and innovation policy.
Analysis to set out the economic rationale for public R&I investments and their impact on growth and jobs carried out by the Commission.
Involving citizens in setting priorities for the next framework programme
Report by the Democratic Society on involving citizens in the next framework programme
Report of the high level group on the European Innovation Council
Europe is back: Accelerating breakthrough innovation recommendations on how a European Innovation Council (EIC) should be set up to fund and nurture breakthrough innovation.
- 2 May 2018 the Commission adopts its proposal for the next EU long-term budget (MFF)
- 7 June 2018 the Commission adopts its proposal for Horizon Europe
- the Council and European Parliament negotiate and subsequently adopt the programme
- Horizon Europe is launched on 1 January 2021