To support the strategy, a Knowledge Centre for Biodiversity has been established to help track and assess progress by the EU and its partners, including in relation to implementation of biodiversity-related international instruments foster cooperation and partnership, including between climate and biodiversity scientists underpin policy development.
The Knowledge Centre for Biodiversity will provide:
- A one-stop shop for key information about biodiversity and the impact of related policies and for science-based evidence to protect the natural ecosystems that provide us with food, medicines, materials, recreation, and wellbeing;
- A platform where progress of the EU Biodiversity Strategy for 2030 can be monitored;
- An interface for scientists to network, share research results and channel them more effectively to support EU policies.
Supporting the EU Biodiversity Strategy for 2030
By bringing together and fostering interdisciplinary exchange, the Knowledge Centre for Biodiversity will deliver up-to-date, robust, high-quality scientific facts and evidence to support the EU Biodiversity strategy for 2030 in:
- extending and connecting protected areas;
- achieving the EU nature restoration targets and plan, which include, among others: conservation of pollinators and their habitats, reduction of pesticides and nutrient pollution from agriculture, restoration and decontamination of soils, and protection of forests;
- reinforcing enforcement, compliance and implementation of EU law;
- involving businesses, better financing, and integration of natural capital accounting systems;
- supporting the global biodiversity agenda, through work on global biodiversity conservation, protected areas, deforestation, biodiversity footprints.
More on the EU biodiversity strategy: Role of the Knowledge Centre for Biodiversity within the Biodiversity Strategy.
Luxinnovation is the National Contact Point for Horizon 2020, the European framework programme for research and innovation. Building on our decade-long experience of EU funding programmes, we are able to respond to questions on where to get up-to-date information on programmes and calls for project proposals, what programmes are the most suitable for you or where and how to find European partners.